Because of severe weather, the University of Notre Dame will close Tuesday, January 29 at 7:00 p.m. and reopen at 1:00 p.m. on Thursday, January 31.
Student dining halls will remain open with extended hours. Lower levels of the Hesburgh Library will remain open for 24 hours daily, as will LaFortune Student Center. However, food vendors at both locations will be closed.
Special parking arrangements will be made to accommodate essential personnel staffing these facilities.
The Office of Campus Safety provides these reminders during bouts of extremely low temperatures:
- Frostbite can occur on exposed skin in less than 30 minutes. When walking outside, please be sure to dress appropriately and, as needed, duck into or walk through buildings to warm up.
- Dress warmly and stay dry. When outdoors, dress in several layers, wear a hat, scarf and a knit mask to cover your face and mouth, mittens, sleeves that are snug at the wrist, and water-resistant coat and boots. Avoid prolonged exposure outdoors.
- Eat and drink wisely. Do not drink alcoholic or caffeinated beverages as they cause your body to lose heat more rapidly.
- Avoid exertion. Cold weather puts an extra strain on the heart.
- If driving to and from campus, keep extra blankets, flashlights with extra batteries, matches, first aid kit, snow shovel and rock salt, and special-need items on hand.
- Travel in groups both on and off campus