Start your holiday meal off with these two special side dishes from Rohr's. They are the perfect way to invite fresh taste and color to your dinner table this season.
Rohr’s Roasted Carrot Soup
If you like carrots, you’ll love this sweet and savory, light and healthy carrot soup that you can serve with any main dish.
- 4 pounds carrots, peeled and cut into large diced chunks
- ½ pound white miso
- 1 and ½ sheets nori
- .5 pound or about two inches of fresh ginger root, peeled and minced
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2 onions, sliced thin
- 1 gallon vegetable stock
- 1 oz agave nectar
- Cut carrots and toss with a little oil.
- Roast in a 350 F oven for about 30 minutes, or until tender.
- In a large pan, sweat the onion, garlic and ginger, then add the miso.
- Combine the carrots, onions, garlic, ginger and vegetable stock in a blender and blend until smooth (work in batches as necessary).
- Strain and simmer for 20-30 minutes.
- Add salt, pepper and agave to taste.
Rohr’s Beet Salad
Rohr’s chefs recommend this beet salad recipe for the colors and tastes of the winter and holiday season. With its sweet and savory flavors, beets have never tasted so good.
- 1 cup baby arugula
- 6 oz marinated beets
- 2.5 oz feta cheese, crumbled
- ¼ cup candied pecans
- 1 oz aged balsamic glaze
- 9 dill fronds
- In a mixing bowl, toss arugula, beets and feta.
- Plate the mixture in the center of a shallow bowl.
- Drizzle with balsamic glaze.
- Garnish with pecans, then the dill.