Finish off your holiday meal with Rohr's Banana Cake. This moist cake is a great way to top off a celebratory meal this season. And here's something extra for the adults — Father Hesburgh Manhattan — from the bar at Rohr's. This version of the classic cocktail is sure to warm up a winter evening.
Rohr's Banana Cake
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
- 1 2/3 cups sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1 3/4 cups (about 4) mashed bananas
- 1 cup sour cream
1. Heat oven to 350 F.
2. Sift together the flour, baking soda and salt.
3. Cream the softened butter with the sugar.
4. Add the vanilla extract to the sugar and butter.
5. Add the eggs one at a time, scraping after each addition.
6. Fold in the mashed bananas until combined.
7. Add the dry ingredients and the sour cream, alternate the two until they have both been incorporated.
You can bake this in a loaf pan for 55-65 minutes while covered in foil, or bake in silicone molds for 20-25 minutes.
Father Hesburgh Manhattan
- 2 oz Lot 40 Canadian rye whisky
- 1 oz Cocchi Vermouth di Torino
2 dashes Bittercube cherry bark vanilla bitters
- Build all ingredients in a rocks glass and stir.
- Garnish with lemon peel and Luxardo maraschino cherries.
Watch how Rohr's bartender Patrick Denis "Murf" Murphy made this specialty for Father Hesburgh here.