This carrot cake holds it's own at the Thanksgiving table but paired with the brandied vanilla bean caramel sauce and the Greek yogurt panna cotta, it becomes a next-level dessert you'll want to serve time and time again.
Carrot Cake Ingredients:
- 2 cups sugar
- 6 eggs
- 1 Tbsp vanilla bean paste
- 2 1/2 cups grapeseed oil
- 5 cups carrots (finely chopped)
- 4 cups all purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp baking soda
1. Preheat the oven to 350 F.
2. Combine sugar, eggs, vanilla bean paste and grapeseed oil. Whisk until all ingredients are thoroughly combined. (The mixture will lighten in color.)
3. Fold the carrots into the sugar mixture.
4. In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, cinnamon, salt and baking soda.
5. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, combine but don’t over mix.
6. Portion into a loaf pan that has been sprayed and lined with parchment paper.
7. Cover with foil and bake for 45-60 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean from the center of the cake.
Brandied Vanilla Bean Caramel Sauce Ingredients:
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 Tbsp brandy
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
1. Simmer sugar and water and caramelize until sugar reaches a deep amber color (about 15 minutes). Using a pastry brush and cup of water, brush down the sides of the pot to keep sugar crystals from recrystallizing.
2. Once the sugar is ready, remove from heat and slowly add the cream while continuing to stir.
3. Add the salt, brandy and vanilla bean paste.
4. Return to heat for another minute or two until the last ingredients are incorporated.
5. Once finished, cool completely and transfer to a pourable container.
6. For plating, pool a small amount of caramel onto the plate under the carrot cake.
Greek Yogurt Panna Cotta Ingredients:
- 2 1/4 tsp gelatin
- 2 Tbsp cold water
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 Tbsp vanilla bean paste
- 2 cups Greek yogurt
1. Bloom the gelatin in the cold water.
2. Boil the heavy cream, sugar and vanilla bean paste. Once it has boiled, turn off heat and add the gelatin, stirring until it has completely melted.
3. Mix in the Greek yogurt and thoroughly combine.
4. Pour into moulds and freeze until set before popping out.
5. For serving, place three ovals of the panna cotta on the plate alongside the cake and top with small bits of honeycomb and drizzle with honey (garnish optional).
Before serving, garnish the panna cotta with bits of honeycomb and lightly drizzle a little bit of honey on top.
Garnish the carrot cake with a sprinkle of cinnamon powdered sugar and micro basil.